23 Jun World Refill Day 2022 – Preventing Plastic Pollution
World Refill Day – June 16th – is a global campaign to prevent plastic pollution and help people live with less waste.
We’re all aware of plastic’s devastating effect on our environment, with many of us looking for ways to live more sustainably and reduce single-use packaging. With only 14% of the plastic packaging collected to be recycled globally, we’ve learnt recycling is NOT the only solution. Saying no to single-use plastics, and normalising ‘reusing and refilling’ is more effective!
1. WATER – One of the easiest changes you can make to reduce your plastic waste, is to carry refillable bottles like the WWA Hydroflask – 38 MILLION plastic drinks bottles are bought every day in the UK
2. TEA AND COFFEE – The production of coffee cups in the UK is responsible for the felling of a million trees each year. Globally, we use up an alarming (hold your breath) 206 million trees to produce 500 billion coffee cups. We’ve been reducing our coffee cups by using the WWA Circular Cups wherever we can
3. MILK – Even though milk deliveries have soared since the Coronavirus pandemic, refillable milk options in large supermarkets are unfortunately still scarce. We’ve started to go back to the milkman and use milk in glass containers that are collected and reused in the old-fashioned way!
4. STORE-CUPBOARD ESSENTIALS – 112,000 PIECES of plastic packaging leave the UK supermarkets every minute. Shopping and refilling your pantry essentials in Zero Waste shops and independent retailers
5. LUNCHBOX – 11 BILLION items of packaging waste a year in the UK alone are generated by the Take-Away food market. A 2019 study showed that 75% of British people got their lunch on the go daily. Taking your lunch to work is an easy way to reduce this unnecessary waste
Check out our LinkedIn post today to grab yourself a freebie!